Part of being a repoman or being in the repossession business is talking with debtors and also talking with people that may know the debtors whereabouts. When going to repo school or going through repossession training to get licensed there are many things they teach you, however some of the things you will never learn until you actually hit the streets.
Laywers and Repomen things in common
When you graduate law school some of the most important things are notlearned while in law school but learned later while doing the job. One thing in particular is going to trial. Law school usually does not teach someone how to handle themselves in trial. It is just something that as time passes working in the field a lawyer will get more accustomed to it and eventually be good at going to trials.
A repoman learns the laws involved, the terms such as wrongful repossession, how to best do repossessions, the tools, the insurance and so on. However the things that a repoman will never learn in school or training is all of the lies and the excuses that come with this job day in and day out. Surely some of you have heard many of the lies on the cable TV shows, even they got some of those right.
Top excuses and lies heard to get out of a repo
- I just paid it last week or yesterday.
- I spoke to so and so at the bank just this morning and straightened it out.
- It must be a mistake this car is paid in full.
- I filed bankruptcy last week and this car is protected under BK laws.
- I just got back from the war (not even in the military)
- Just give me til tomorrow and I promise I will pay it.
- Here is $50 or 100 to go away for the week and say you didn’t see it.
- The car was crashed and wrecked
- It’s in Mexico(often when repoing in CA, TX or Arizona).
- I need it to get to the hospital in the morning for surgery
The list continues on and on and as a repoman you will hear these day after day and over time it will change you. You will begin to see which ones were going to be tougher to repossess from the lies alone. You will have many families that will lie for each other all the way down the list.